Promise of the Catholic Physician
As a Physician, I solemnly promise:
1. To continually improve my professional abilities, in order to give my patients the best
care I can.
2. To respect my patients as human persons, putting their interests ahead of political and
economic considerations, and to treat them without prejudice arising from religion, racial,
ethnic, socio-economic or sexual differences.
3. To defend and protect human life from conception to its natural end, believing that
human life, transmitted by parents, is created by God and has an eternal destiny that
belongs to Him.
4.To refuse to become an instrument of violent or oppressive applications of medicine.
5. To serve the public health, promoting healthful policies respectful of life and the dignity
and nature of the human person.
6. To cooperate with the applications of just law, except on the grounds of conscientious
objection when the civil law does not respect human rights, especially the right to life.
7. To work with openness toward every person, independently of their religious beliefs.
8. To donate part of my time for free and charitable care of the poor.
In order to achieve these goals, as a Catholic Doctor I also promise:
1. To recognize the Word of God as the inspiration of all my actions, to be faithful to the
teachings of the Church and to form my professional conscience in accord with them.
2. To cultivate a filial relationship with God, nourished by prayer, and to be a faithful
witness of Christ.
3. To practice Catholic moral principles, in particular those related to bio-medical ethics.
4. To express the benevolence of Christ in my life, and in my relationships with patients,
colleagues and society.
5. To participate in the evangelization of the suffering world, in cooperation with the
pastoral ministry of the Church.
Approved by the Executive Committee of the Fédération Internationale des Associations
Médicales Catholiques (FIAMC – The International Federation of Catholic Medical
Associations) and by the Pontifical Council of the Pastoral for Health Care Workers.